Monday, March 9, 2009

Blackest Night Predictions

Well, I've been away for the past week -- visited some good friends, saw Elton John and Billy Joel in concert again, saw Watchmen (YAY!), and generally had a good time. It's nice to get away every now and again.

So now that I'm catching up on what I missed while I was gone, the question of individual predictions for The Blackest Night has come up. Here's what I think.

1. We'll see Sinestro as a Green Lantern again. As awesome as I think it would be if he became one permanently, I don't see that happening -- more likely he'll end up sacrificing himself or some other such heroic but sad (to me) thing.

2. Black Lantern Abin Sur's presence will mess with Hal and Sinestro's heads, but he'll end up as a good guy again somehow. Maybe even all the dead GL Black Lanterns will turn against whoever is the power behind the Black Lanterns in the end, thus sacrificing their own "life" (such as it is).

3. Laira will be redeemed somehow (possibly through #2, but Hal will have a hand in it somehow).

4. We've already seen Hal wield multiple rings, but I think he'll end up with most, if not all, of them by the time the whole thing is over and done with.

5. Sinestro will mop the floor with Mongul, but Mongul will remain a player in the storyline somehow. Maybe with another Corps?

6. I'm worried that something bad is going to happen to Guy. There's a little voice in my head that fears the worst, but another part says that they've built up the Guy/Tora thing too much to just kill him off... maybe he'll die but end up alive again by the end of Blackest Night.

7. Hector Hammond = Orange Lantern.

8. Even more obvious than #7 - the Blue Lanterns are going to die.

9. have nothing to support this one, really, but I have this feeling in my gut that something bad is going to happen to Korugar.

10. Nekron. Yeah.

I have a lot of other thoughts rattling around in my head right now so I'll likely post an addendum to this some other day. Probably after GLC this week.

3 comments:

SallyP said...

Aha! That's why it has been quiet for a while. TOO quiet!

I agree with most of your ideas. I'm also a little worried about Guy,the hints are beginning to pile up. On the other hand, everyone thought that Kyle was going to croak in Rebirth, and that didn't happen. But PLEASE don't let anything permanently terrible happen to Guy. Temporary terrible I can live with.

And it's true that Sinestro will probably mop the floor with Mongul.

Duskdog said...

I've been getting this feeling that Geoff Johns doesn't really like Guy very much. He's an Honor Guard and all, yeah, but when Hal is around he suddenly becomes Hal's subordinate even though he outranks him. And he nearly got killed in Infinite Crisis and in the Sinestro Corps War. I can think of at least three scenes written by Geoff in which Guy has been hurt badly enough to be carried around by someone else.

Maybe it's nothing, but all that on top of the hints we've been given about the Blackest Night so far add up to some really worrying potential.

And I hope Sinestro beats Mongul to death with his own arm and then eats his liver with some fava beans and a nice chianti. We can't have Superman villains beating Space Hitler at his own game, can we?

SallyP said...

It's true, that Geoff Johns does seem to regard Guy as Hal's favorite damsel in distress. Heck, way back in one of the earlier Johns-written GL's when he and Ollie have been attacked by the Black Mercy plants and Hal and Sinestro are fighting together with all the other Lanterns, Guy is the only one hurt. Then when they went after the Lost Lanterns, Guy was the one dragged off to be the Mega-Manhunter or whatever it was called. And of course, the whole thing with Despotillis in the Sinestro Corps War.

I don't know if Geoff dislikes Guy, but he does seem to find him handy as someone for Hal to rescue. That's one of the reasons I liked YOUR story about Guy rescuing Hal for a change. That would be nice to see in canon for a change.